Monday, May 26, 2008

Paper Aversion

I don't do well with paper. I don't like it. I loose small pieces with important information on them. Every time I move, I stuff all these papers into a box, only to find them the next time I move, untouched. Credit card applications, directions to destinations, gas receipts, notes from my family and friends. Every now and then, I'll file the necessary ones, and shred the rest. But this is also a major production, as it requires me to sit still.

Right now I have all these little sayings that I like, from this tear-0ff calender thingy a student gave me, stuck to my monitor. They've started falling off. And I'm packing up my classroom for the last time. So I have to put them somewhere that I won't loose them. And the lightbulb just went on!

"I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to make it shorter." --Blaise Pascal

"Life is a series of surprises, and would not be worth taking or keeping, if it were not." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

"A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops." --Henry Brooks Adams

"You are not in charge of the universe; you are in charge of yourself." --Arnold Bennett

"One must learn by doing the thing; for though you think you know it, you have no certainty, until you try." --Sophocles

"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." --George Herman ("Babe") Ruth

No comments: